It's Not My Problem

I have to keep reminding myself that it's not my life. It's not my issues. It's not mine to fix. But there is nothing more frustrating than when your academy award caliber speech of advice is tossed carelessly to the side. I just want to scream until they get it. 


"I'VE BEEN WHERE YOU ARE! I KNOW IT DOESN'T WORK. I KNOW YOU WON'T BE HAPPY WITH THAT DECISION! LISTEN TO ME! A 0.34 GPA WON'T GET YOU ANYWHERE IN LIFE!"


But yelling typically isn't very effective, and will probably leave me hoarse. 


I can't stand it when people don't take responsibility for their actions. I feel like I'm surrounded by a bunch of people like that right now. And it shouldn't be that way. We are in college, this is the time to test your responsibility skills, to hone them to perfection before the real world is unleashed on us. 


Because in the real world you won't always have a classmate to remind you when an assignment is due. In the real world you can't lay in bed all day just because you "are so overtired and can't get out of bed" (I'm sorry, I must have missed the crutches, are your legs broken, sweetheart?). Late assignments become failed projects which turn into a pink slip from your employer. All you had to do was buckle down and focus and put off watching Pretty Little Liars.


This all may sound harsh, but I only say it this way because I've been there. I've been the girl who would watch every single episode of Friends before writing that paper (it's a real wonder that Joey-isms didn't sneak into those sentences), finally starting at 3 AM and knowing it wouldn't be my best work. I've been the girl who would rather lay in bed and sleep than walk to go eat (which is truly ridiculous because I really like to eat; I should have just combined both activities). I've been in denial about the effort I put into school and the consequences were severe.


I absolutely detest standing by and watching someone self-sabotage. But I have to keep reminding myself that it's not my life. It's not my problem. Some people learn best by failing. 


As for me, I'm thrilled at the renewed work ethic and perseverance I have after my stint at TCU. This girl has two interviews the week after Spring Break. This girl got an A on her English midterm. This girl goes home tomorrow. I couldn't be luckier. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Selfies. Selfies EVERYWHERE.

A Penny for Your Sin

Bachelor Recap Week 2: Did You Hear it's Hannah B's Birthday?