Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

Those of you who have been keeping up with Emily Maynard's season of "The Bachelorette" know who Ryan Bowers is. He made an impression on me in the worst way during his television debut, coming across as an arrogant a**hole. I don't know the man in real life so I cannot judge his character based entirely on the ABC edit, but I can judge him based on what he tweets. And I do. 


He is known for his open desire to obtain a "trophy wife" and he frequently crowds my twitter feed with comments defending that statement. He needs a better defense. 


Let's break down this phrase. "Trophy" connotes images of a shiny statue, something to display proudly in your home for an accomplishment. A trophy is a source of pride in your own abilities and a constant ego boost. You don't take a trophy out to dinner. You don't pledge to spend the rest of your life with a pedestal of wood and gold-plated figurine. "Wife" is someone to love. Someone to take pride in, but not because of what a man accomplished, but because of what she can do...on her own. Without you. I think a wife is the embodiment of Proverbs 31. A trophy is a possession, but a wife is her own person, not to be placed on a display pedestal and dusted to perfection. There isn't a way to marry the two words without running into logic problems. 


Whenever/If I get married I don't want to be A Very Lucky Trophy. I want to be A Very Lucky Wife, an extension of the Very Lucky Girl that I am everyday. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Selfies. Selfies EVERYWHERE.

A Penny for Your Sin

Bachelor Recap Week 2: Did You Hear it's Hannah B's Birthday?