Titanic: A Tragedy In Every Dimension

On Friday night I joined the masses at Quail Springs Mall to watch the timeless tragedy, Titanic. Both the film and the actual history have always gripped me and James Cameron excels at portraying such an historical event in an increasingly relatable way. I looked forward to the movie for several reasons: 1) I got to spend time with some of my favorite people; 2) I'm pretty sure the last 3D movie I watched was Spy Kids; and 3) Leonardo DiCaprio in 3D is absolute perfection. Leo in any dimension is spectacular.


The only thing I was worried about was the topless scene. Boobs in 2D are pretty awkward. Adding a dimension didn't exactly increase my comfort level. I was very surprised that the movie was only rated PG13. I think that much nudity, foul language, and violence merited an R warning. 


The division of the classes on the boat always has me on the edge of my seat in outrage. First class life is not more valuable than saved steerage (but at the same time I'm not so sure that female life is more important than male, both are equally valuable in the reproduction process, so the call for women to the lifeboats ahead of men is also disconcerting). The striking footage of the deterioration of the upper class from pristine to savage in the face of impending death reinforces the idea of a total innate inhumanity present in every social class. 


Titanic sounds like Celine Dion. "My Heart Will Go On" is the immediate association with the fatal wreck. Even throughout some of the worst parts of the film, Cameron couples a flawless soundtrack. But in reality, apart from the dedicated few musicians, Celine wasn't serenading their deaths. Instead (and Cameron captures these powerful few moments near the finale of the sinking) their last few moments are synonymous with the bloodcurdling screams of the dying and injured, the crackle of exposed electricity, and the groaning of an abused ship. 


The sign of an appreciated movie is audience interaction. The people at Quail cried together when Leo slipped under the water (that little harlot promised to never let go, what happened!?) and clapped together when the credits rolled. Titanic has been an iconic film since 1997, but it's touching lives in 2012. Well done, James Cameron. This Very Lucky Girl applauds your artistic hand in a delicate story. 
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Selfies. Selfies EVERYWHERE.

A Penny for Your Sin

Bachelor Recap Week 2: Did You Hear it's Hannah B's Birthday?