Holocaust Heartache

The Holocaust is one of my favorite historic events to study, next to the sinking of the Titanic. Tragedy is riveting, as terrible as it may sound. I've read endless books about the horrors that happened in concentration camps, to many different people groups, but especially to God's own-the Jewish nation. 

Corrie ten Boom and Elie Wiesel are my two favorite authors on the subject. Their separate, firsthand experiences in Auschwitz, coupled with their insight, make for meaningful reads. I highly recommend Ms. ten Boom's "The Hiding Place" and Elie Wiesel's "Night." I've read both, multiple times. I'm currently working through Corrie's "Each New Day" devotional and received "Open Heart" by Mr. Wiesel on Christmas. I finished "Open Heart" and it was phenomenal! 

I learned a lot about Elie Wiesel, his life after the Holocaust, that I didn't know before. He is currently a professor at Boston University (MAN-why didn't I apply there!?!?!) and has a son and two grandchildren. The despair and hopelessness I read in "Night" didn't follow him into his future.
"What does being resuscitated mean if not rediscovering one's future?"-Open Heart
And THAT is why I love him. He's not an overly positive Polly, for he has seen some of the most evil in the world, but he doesn't wallow in his past. A Very Lucky Girl could take a cue from some of the bravest people I'd like to know. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Selfies. Selfies EVERYWHERE.

A Penny for Your Sin

Bachelor Recap Week 2: Did You Hear it's Hannah B's Birthday?