Birds of a Feather

If there is one thing that I've learned in 2012, it's that relationships are ever-changing. Whether for good, for bad, of just for a new season in life, it happens. I'm slowly coming to terms with the idea that there is nothing wrong with change. Change builds people, change grows friendships.

I've had my fair share of "best" friends. Whether they were best for a season or best for a lifetime is irrelevant. I can't choose the best person that has made me the better version of myself that I am today. It is a combination of everyone's bests. The popular meaning of a "best friend" is juvenile. I think I have at least 4 "best friends" necklaces in my jewelry drawer at home. A Hello Kitty one for me and Samantha, a orange sparkly duck one for me and Callie, a dolphin one (that changes color depending on my mood! omg LyKe we were/are the coolio-est!) for me and Kayla, and an ice cream cone one for me and Ashley. But necklaces don't make relationships. Experiences make relationships.
I've recently had the song "Oath" by Cher Lloyd on repeat (don't panic, I'm not over Taylor Swift's new album already!). Her lyrics apply to all of my friendships in some way or another.


"best friend til the very end"
Stasia, Carra, Sam, Anna Grace, Grace...several names come to mind. These are girls that I don't talk to regularly, but whose presences I have treasured ever since I can remember. Elementary friendships stick-regardless of distance. I still regularly creep on their Facebook profiles, wanting to be involved in their triumphs.
"best friends don't have to pretend"
I sat down with Natasha just the other day because she felt something wasn't quite right in our relationship. So we talked about it. We didn't pretend or fake that our friendship is always going to be perfect; that's unrealistic.
"laughing so damn hard...all the scars we share"
You know that saying, "you'll always be my best friend, you know too much!"? This is Megan. I laugh and laugh with her, and she knows literally everything about me. Even the things that aren't pretty. Secrets I didn't mean to share. 
"and we'll never change, no matter the weather"
Moriah is one of my most constant companions. What else would I expect from a bosom friend, right Anne? I'm going to see her Saturday and I have no doubt we will pick up right where we left off: Finding joy in the simple act of spending time together. 

"I know I drive you crazy, mm, sometimes
I know I called you lazy, and that's most times
But you complete me, and that's no lie
You are my tuxedo, and I'm your bow tie
We in the car, sing, sing, singing our song
Rocking the building, tear it down, like we king kong
And in my eyes, you can't do, do no wrong
You got the best friends sing, sing along."

Wherever you go, just always remember
That you got a home for now and forever
And if you get low, just call me whenever
This is my oath to you
Wherever you go, just always remember
You never alone, we're birds of a feather
And we'll never change, no matter the weather
This is my oath to you."


Philippians 1:3 says it most elegantly, "I thank my God everytime I remember you." Cher Lloyd just made it catchy. A Very Lucky Girl is blessed with countless friendships, and trust me, I'm thankful for each of you.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Selfies. Selfies EVERYWHERE.

A Penny for Your Sin

Bachelor Recap Week 2: Did You Hear it's Hannah B's Birthday?