Healing in the Heartland

I attended the best concert of my life last night with Megan. The event had it all: good music, eye candy, talented artists, but, best of all, the generous spirit of not only Oklahoma, but America. You may have caught Healing in the Heartland on NBC for an hour last night. If so, you were a part of blessing Moore and the tornado victims of the May 20th disaster. 
Blake Shelton, the Oklahoman with a heart the size of Texas, put together this incredible event and kicked off the night with the hit "God Gave Me You." Darius Rucker was up next with "True Believers." I'll see you in a few short days on June 8th, Mr. Rucker. Thanks for swinging by early! Rascal Flatts played a song that truly spoke to the victims. "I Won't Let Go" talks of "a storm that cut a path" and of people who "will stand by you." Miranda Lambert teared up during her performance of "The House that Built Me." Ryan Tedder of OneRepublic broke up the country theme with his rendition of "Counting Stars." Reba sang about "everyday people lifting up the world" after an emotional story about a recent high school graduate, Alyson Costilla. Alyson's mom died inside of a 7-11 on May 20th during the tornado while her home was destroyed a few miles away, mere days before Alyson's graduation. Alyson stood on stage surrounded by her family and Blake Shelton's arm, but I bet she would have given anything for Blake's presence to be her mother.
Vince Gill, a Normanite, sang "Threaten Me with Heaven" for the 24 people who didn't outlast the storm. Georgia boy, Luke Bryan crashed the Oklahoman party, with his hit "Crash My Party." Megan observed, "he's very good-looking." I concur. And, finally, I rekindled my romance with Usher's smile when he appeared on stage with Blake Shelton to sing "Home." And that was all for the viewers watching at home. 
For those of us in the arena, it was only just the beginning of a casual jam session with Miranda, Luke, Blake, Reba, Darius, and Usher (I feel like we're on a first name basis now). All of these performers came back on stage for at least one more song and, now that I've witnessed Luke Bryan shake it for me, I can die happy. The NBC crew stayed to film a song with Blake and Usher's team for The Voice episode next week so be on the lookout for those guys playing something country. 
The atmosphere was unlike any other concert I've ever attended. And I think it's because nobody was playing for money. This wasn't anyone's career, this was everyone's heart. And A Very Lucky Girl is honored to witness healing in the heartland. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Selfies. Selfies EVERYWHERE.

A Penny for Your Sin

Bachelor Recap Week 2: Did You Hear it's Hannah B's Birthday?