2019 Summer Book Review

Remember when I wrote monthly book reviews? Oops. Between Bachelorette recaps, trying to keep up with Blake’s Stagecoach conquests on Bachelor in Paradise, and having to come up with something to make for dinner 5 nights a week -- I fell behind. I have every intention of getting back on track with these in the fall, but I finished some amazing books this summer so I’m laying out my top-rated so you can finish off your year on a high note! 


Before diving in, allow me to explain my personal rating system. I adhere pretty closely to Goodreads star standards with some variation: 


  • Goodreads 1 star - “did not like it” 
    • My 1 star: I hated this book and I’m really annoyed that I selected it. Thought about quitting partially through multiple times. 
  • Goodreads 2 stars - “it was ok
    • My 2 stars: I would not recommend this book to anyone and likely powered through. Did anyone proofread this text? 
  • Goodreads 3 stars - “liked it”
    • My 3 stars: This book kept my attention and was a decent use of reading time. However it was not “wow” material. 
  • Goodreads 4 stars - “really liked it” 
    • My 4 stars: Highlighted several key phrases, texted all of my friends so they could add it to their TBR piles, and definitely added it to my books Instagram story. 
  • Goodreads 5 stars - “loved it” 
    • My 5 stars: This book cleared my skin, changed my worldview, and added real emotion to my life. Said emotion could be in the form of actual laugh out loud moments, all the tears, or several “aha” moments. I won’t stop talking about the book until you read it and discuss with me. Will stan the author 5ever. 


Therefore, my top-rated of this summer will obviously only include titles that merited 4 or 5 stars: 


The Hate U Give by Angie Thomas 
5 stars


Why are some of the best books YA novels? Those lucky YAs amiright? I immediately suggested this to the book club list upon finishing it. It will likely land in my top 5 list for all of 2019 because of the timeliness of the subject matter in the current political climate. I appreciated a perspective that I’m not privy to based on the privilege I experience. Please, read it and think about the true meaning of THUG LIFE according to Tupac and the cycle we perpetuate. 



Make or Break by Catherine Bennetto
5 stars


This one is certainly a lighter read, but had just enough meat to warrant a 5th star from me. The writing style made me add another Bennetto book to my TBR list immediately. Filled with travel, adventure, and family relationships from the perspective of a controlling main character-- I was immediately hooked on Jess and her life. The witty writing sealed the deal and I didn’t want this one to end. Also, moved “African Jungle Safari” even higher on the bucket list thanks to Bennetto's outstanding description.


Wilder Girls by Rory Power
4 stars


Raxter School for Girls has been quarantined for 18 months due to a mysterious illness known as the Tox. Teachers and students alike are dying and this island is completely cut off from civilization, aside from occasional supply drops from individuals in hazmat suits. Character names like Hetty and Byatt with lines such as “I think I’d been looking for it all my life -- a storm in my body to match the one in my head,” make Power’s first novel a success. The ending was slightly disappointing, but I’m anxious to see what her next novel, Burn Our Bodies Down (expected 2020 release), brings to the literary table.


The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo
4 stars


I need to warn you that this book is LOOOONG. It’s really more of an epic about the Sorenson family and the parents that bind them, with rich character development. Because this book took me so long to get through, I felt like I was one of the Sorenson sisters by the end. The daughters admire the marriage their parents have so much so that they all fear they’ll never find a love quite like what they’ve seen growing up. However, as we all know, objects in the spotlight are never as perfect as they appear and Lombardo weaves seamless time transitions to depict the authenticity of each character. 


Things You Save in a Fire by Katherine Center
4 stars


Cassie thrives on adrenaline, which makes her fire-fighting career a perfect fit. An ill-timed assault on a prominent Texas political figure, plus her estranged mother’s ailing health, leads her to pack up and move to the east coast. This new firefighting crew is old-school and doesn’t exactly roll out a red carpet welcome. Center crafts a creative novel of forgiveness with a pinch of feminism. You’ll finish this one in just a day or two! 


Recursion by Blake Crouch
4 stars


My first introduction to Crouch was Dark Matter, to which I gave 5 stars. This new one by Crouch fell just slightly short for me, perhaps due to the onslaught of paragraphs on physics. I’m more of a history and English gal, to literally no one’s surprise I’m sure. The suspense still held me on the edge of my seat, even though the time-traveling chapters began to run together near the end. Overall, a brilliant concept and a challenging change of pace for me!


The Wrong End of the Table: A Mostly Comic Memoir of a Muslim Arab American Woman Just Trying to Fit In by Ayser Salman
4 stars


“When something is hard to put in a box, it might be easier to misunderstand” is the understatement of our century. Ayser details her childhood and adolescence navigating emigration and post 9/11 sentiment toward Islamic individuals. Her voice is refreshing and peppered with humor, but with an underlying current of resolve to communicate the feeling of being at the wrong end of the table in America. My favorite takeaway: “the best protection under democracy is to actually participate in it.”  


Evvie Drake Starts Over by Linda Holmes
4 stars 


Everyone in small-town Maine thinks they understand the recently widowed Eveleth “Evvie” Drake and the grief she’s experiencing at the loss of her young husband. She doesn’t correct their perception and keeps to herself in her home. Her best friend, Andy, convinces her to rent her spare room to failed baseball star, Dean Tenney. Close proximity leads to Dean and Evvie sharing their respective broken histories and kept secrets, thus a spark is born. Holmes provides a heartwarming plot, perfect for devouring in an afternoon under a cozy blanket. 


The Flatshare by Beth O’Leary
4 stars


Would you rent out the empty side of your bed? Even if you worked nights? Yeah, me neither. Yet, Leon Twomey needs the cash for a lawyer for his incarcerated brother and Tiffy Moore is recently dumped and needs somewhere to stay pronto. Thus, the flatshare is born. I loved the chapters written in different voices as Leon and Tiffy navigate the unusual dynamic of being roommates who share a bed. Except not at the same time. This one was lots of fun with a few surprise twists!


The Girl He Used to Know by Tracey Garvis-Graves
4 stars


Annika Rose isn’t exactly a social butterfly by any stretch of the imagination. Jonathan met her over chess in college and an infatuation was born. Though the story largely relied on a romantic plot between the couple, flashing back between college years and present day, the best character development was in Annika Rose. The fact that she’s a librarian sure didn’t hurt my opinion of her either -- as Annika said “reading transported me to exotic locales, fascinating periods in history, and worlds that were vastly different than my own.” 

Then She Was Gone by Lisa Jewell
4 stars


You know when you’re reading a suspense novel and you're certain you can’t trust a character, but also can't figure out which one is the shadiest? I felt this way throughout Jewell’s entire book. I couldn’t put my finger on who wasn’t quite right, but I basically suspected everyone. You will be fully invested in Ellie Mack’s disappearance and the Mack family until the final jaw-dropping page. 


Verity by Colleen Hoover
4 stars


Y’all. Hoover shook me to my very core with this book. Proof:

I basically held my breath throughout the entirety and really wanted to to call in a welfare check on Colleen and her kids. Fair warning: this one is graphic and contains scenes of child abuse so pick it up at your own risk. The ending will rock your world and make you question every single character all over again, just when you thought you knew who you could trust. 

Thanks for following along for my favorite summer reads! If you're interested in getting book recs in real time, hop over to Goodreads and let's be book buddies!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Selfies. Selfies EVERYWHERE.

A Penny for Your Sin

Bachelor Recap Week 2: Did You Hear it's Hannah B's Birthday?