Autobiography of a Bibliophile: November

This November I was extra thankful for my Kindle! Between spatchcocking turkeys and trimming the Christmas tree, I still made time to read 21 books and there are several 5 star contenders among the group. Add some of these to your Christmas list ASAP!

this meme was SO TRUE this month too, y'all. All of the feels!!
The Summer Wives by Beatriz Williams
4 stars

I really enjoyed The Secret Life of Violet Grant by Beatriz, so I had high hopes for The Summer Wives. For the most part, she delivered. The timeline was more difficult to follow as it hopped between decades, but it didn’t take long to catch on. The secrets were jaw-dropping and the ending was satisfying. Bear in mind, this book is long with a capital L!

You Knew Me When by Emily Liebert (audio)
3 stars

This story passed the time on neighborhood walks and house cleaning rounds, but it certainly wasn’t spell-binding. Frankly, I found the feud that drove the plot fairly silly, but the inviting characters and Luella’s eccentric closet covered a multitude of sins.

The Love Wars by Allison L Heller
3 stars

Divorce lawyer, Molly, is an enchanting personality and her heart for the underdog is in the wrong business -- or at least on the wrong side of it. The story was entertaining, but the predictability factor rendered a 2 star deduction. Side note, the author is a divorce lawyer in her own right so the depiction of the career has to be fairly accurate. Molly’s job made me want to take a nap.

The Repeat Year by Andrea Lochen
3 stars

This was a fun, if unrealistic, read. Main protoganist, Olive, wakes up in the previous year on New Year’s Day with the daunting task of reliving 2011. She’s unsure why she’s been given this blessing (or curse?) and is forced to examine her choices more carefully to make sure she doesn’t end up in 2011 for the THIRD time. All in all, not your worst choice for a light winter read.

Elly in Bloom by Colleen Oakes
3 stars

I don’t know what it is about books in a series, but in recent years I’ve had very little patience for books that don’t stand alone. However, I read TWO of them this month #gofigure. Granted, when I first downloaded Elly in Bloom, I was unaware of the sequel and all told, this book could very well stand alone. This book was good for a few laughs and had the requisite happy ending that chick-lit books require, but don’t pick it up if you are looking for serious substance.

Smothered by Autumn Chiklis
4 stars

I literally laughed out loud several times at this book! I’m four years post-grad and STILL related to Lou’s just-graduated struggle of finding her place in the real world and relating to her parents. Her fear of “what if I peaked? What if being a student was the only thing I’ll ever be great at?” is something I’ve thought SEVERAL times in the last four years, usually immediately followed by “coffee is my god**** blood type.” Following along with Lou’s existential crisis will make you forget your own, even if only for a few hours!

Columbine by Dave Cullen
5 stars

WOW. This book was so very informational for me. Since I was only 6 years old when this “first” mass school shooting occurred, I knew very little about what happened in Colorado in April 1999. Dave Cullen’s investigative journalism, coupled with forensic psychologists and journal entries by Dylan Klebold and Eric Harris, was eye-opening and informative. Cullen plans to release Parkland: Birth of a Movement in the spring and I’ll be sure to read it as well.

One of Us is Lying by Karen McManus (audio)
4 stars

Goodreads' description of The Breakfast Club meets Pretty Little Liars was SPOT ON. I listened to this one and gasped in surprise at least twice. My biggest problem with the book was whoever they chose to read Addy’s part because her voice had me cringing in distaste. Maybe give this one an actual read instead of a listen, but either way there are no secrets left by the end.

A Mother’s Reckoning: Living in the Aftermath of Tragedy by Sue Klebold
4 stars

Promptly after finishing Cullen’s Columbine, I downloaded Sue’s memoir. Her role as mother of one of the killers was not a choice, but what she chose to do with the aftermath is astounding. Since April 1999, she has worked to shed light on mental health in America. She details the Dylan she raised and the persona he depicted in the years and weeks leading up to the massacre and his suicide. I admired that she didn’t attempt to shift blame to Eric, the other shooter, nor did she discount the loss of the students that were victims. After reading several other reviews on Goodreads, I regret that I didn’t download this book on audio versus the ebook. Several reviewers felt that hearing Sue’s voice on audio added an extra element to her tragic story.

The Sound of Gravel by Ruth Wariner
5 stars
Ruth grew up in a polygamist colony along the Mexican border and this memoir on her life was riveting, to say the least. Her siblings with special needs that didn’t receive the proper care was heart-rending and the utter squalor that her family lived in was hard to wrap my head around for a book set in relatively modern times. Ruth’s heart for her numerous siblings and desire to triumph over her circumstances were captivating.
The Kindness of Strangers by Katrina Kittle
3 stars

I had a really hard time stomaching this book because of the content -- child sexual abuse. It’s safe to say that I had no idea what I was getting myself into when I downloaded this book initially. Though I was uncomfortable for the majority of the novel due to the subject matter, the emotion of the characters was well written and it’s a story I won’t forget for a long time.

The Girl with the Lower Back Tattoo by Amy Schumer (audio)
5 stars

I listened to this book and I think that was the best way to read it because it felt like I was attending a comedy show. I’ve seen Amy live and thought she was hysterical and her book was no different. She keeps it real by addressing key national issues (like gun control) and her winding career path, including holding literally every single job (but seriously) you can think of.

Two Kisses for Maddy: A Memoir of Love and Loss by Matthew Logelin
4 stars

Coming off a light audiobook, this read was tougher but rewarding. Matt tells the story of his wife’s early demise after a blood clot killed her shortly after delivering their first daughter, Madeline. She hadn’t even had a chance to hold her baby yet since Maddy was delivered to the NICU immediately. Matt’s story of his sudden life as a single, grieving dad is poignant and I was thrilled to research afterword that in the several years since the book was published, Matt has remarried and is expecting his second child.

Mercy by Jodi Picoult
3 stars

I usually love everything about Jodi and her books, but Mercy fell flat for me. As usual, the premise was heartbreaking as a husband chooses to follow his dying wife’s wishes and kills her before the cancer does. The book follows the subsequent trial and raises the question of mercy-killing. The story also followed another marriage and I was disappointed in the glamorous portrayal of infidelity.

Goodbye, Paris by Anstey Harris
3 stars

It was cute, it was quick, it was light. Main character, Grace, is a musician who hasn’t picked up her cello since she prematurely left a prestigious music college, but instead makes a living creating and refurbishing instruments. She’s in a complicated relationship with a man that lives in Paris -- with his wife and children. I wasn’t impressed with the pity party Grace threw for herself midway through the novel, but the endearing supporting characters made up for Grace’s shortsightedness.

All Your Perfects by Colleen Hoover
5 stars

I cried real tears throughout this entire book. Faced with years of infertility, Quinn and Graham struggle to keep their marriage intact. Colleen never fails to get in touch with the most vulnerable of emotions and I sniffled into my pillow as tears flooded my cheeks. I finished this read in one day, late at night, trying not to shake the bed with my sobs. For me, it absolutely ranked on a level with my other all-time favorite Hoover book, It Ends With Us.

Seven Days of Us by Franseca Hornak
4 stars

I’m a big fan of the “omniscient reader” -- where an author gives me most of the information at the beginning and makes the characters the idiots that will find out what I already know later on. It gives me as a reader a real sense of power as I wait for the other shoe to drop on the poor, unsuspecting souls. This family of secrets held my attention with every page, as did the UK backdrop.

Nine Perfect Strangers by Liane Moriarty
4 stars

I usually love Liane Moriarty’s masterpieces and this was no exception, but I didn’t love it as much as Big Little Lies or The Husband’s Secret. For one, there were SEVERAL characters to keep up with (more than 9, the title is misleading in this regard), but the subject matter itself was outside of my comfort zone. These 9 strangers arrive at Tranquillum House -- an advertised health retreat -- for 10 days of relaxation and rejuvenation. However, the crazy director has a different definition of rejuvenation than most, and the retreat unfolds into disaster. I had a hard time connecting with any of the characters, which was especially surprising considering Moriarty created so dang many!

To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han
4 stars

After hearing all about the hype for this title released on Netflix, I knew I had to read the book before I watched the movie (it’s a hard and fast rule of mine). Now that I’ve read the book, I’m scared to watch the movie in case it ruins the book. I related well to the main character and found most of the supporting characters endearing as well. Here's hoping the movie is just as good as the book!

Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven by Susan Jane Gilman
4 stars

As someone who has gone on two international backpacking trips now, Susie’s experience resonated with me. However, Susie’s attempted trip around the world took place in 1986 when planes still had a smoking section and prior to the convenience of iPhones and Wifi. She and her friend, Claire, started their adventure in the People’s Republic of China very soon after it opened to independent travelers and their subsequent adventures are both terrifying and heart-warming.

You’re Not That Great: (but neither is anyone else) by Elan Gale
2 stars

Elan is a producer of my much beloved reality TV franchise, Bachelor/ette/in Paradise and I used to heartily enjoy his tweets many years ago when I belonged to the Twittersphere. So I was intrigued to read his anti-self help book, but I was disappointed by the myriad of extra profanity and negativity. I somewhat understand where Elan is coming from in that we are all certainly not as great as we think we are and can always improve, but I have a really hard time drinking the Koolaid that negativity breeds productivity and success.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Selfies. Selfies EVERYWHERE.

A Penny for Your Sin

Bachelor Recap Week 2: Did You Hear it's Hannah B's Birthday?